If you don’t know what you should be doing right now, move up a level.
- Level 0 – Tasks: Your tasks may be important, and they may need to be executed without failure. Tasks, however, represent the very lowest level of importance as a category when it comes to doing meaningful work that is aligned with your purpose. Tasks by themselves don’t tell you much about what you should be doing now. If you have a tough time deciding what to do next, move up a level.
- Level 1 – Projects and Initiatives: Projects and initiatives move you up a level from tasks. Moving up to this higher level gives you greater perspective. By determining what projects and initiatives should be prioritized, you can make a better, more informed decision about what you should be doing. With so many projects and initiatives vying for your time and attention, it can be hard to decide what takes precedence. Still need help deciding what to spend your time doing? Step up to a higher level.
- Level 2: Roles and Responsibilities: By looking at your roles and responsibilities, you can better determine which projects and initiatives you need to move forward. When you look at the different parts you play in life, the view from above makes it easier to decide what projects best allow you to fulfill those roles and responsibilities. You’re a parent. You’re an employee. You’re a business owner. You are a spouse. You get the idea. What do these roles command of you?
- Level 3: Longer Term Goals and Outcomes: The view from your long term goals and outcomes, things that will take years to bring to fruition, is a very different view than looking at your tasks. The contrast between these two views makes it easy to determine what to do next. You only have to ask if it furthers your goals. Where are you going? How are you going to get there? How do you take account for your progress against whats important?
- Level 4: Purpose and Meaning: If you absolutely must know what you need to do and you are confused, go to the highest perch you can find: your purpose and your meaning. Why are you here? What are you here to do? How are you going to make a difference? What does your soul tell you that you should be doing when you are sitting quietly by yourself?
If you are confused about what to do, move up a level. Keep moving up until you find the answer, and then do what you know with certainty.
In any business issue, if you don’t know what to do, move up a level.
Want more great articles, insights, and discussions?
Share this post with your network
Filed under: Sales