To cure yourself of a negative mindset, for the next 30 days, follow these rules.
- Turn off your television. Don’t watch any television at all. But especially don’t watch any news. Don’t even have the news on as background noise while you are working. YouTube is sometimes television. Turn that off too.
- Turn off your radio. Don’t listen to any news on the radio, and don’t even listen to something you believe to be innocuous, like CNBC. Listen to something positive and productive like an audio program instead.
- Don’t read the newspaper. Don’t read the news online either. Especially don’t read provocative news sites like the Drudge Report or Politico. Don’t allow anything negative to seep through over the web.
- Don’t read anything on social media. That sounds crazy, doesn’t it? This one is tough. But you know your Facebook feed is full of people on both side of every political, societal, and cultural issue. You know you are going to get baited and you are going to get hooked. You can still broadcast using some tool like Buffer. Just don’t consume anything.
- Stay away from negative friends, family, and co-workers. There are some people in your life that are completely and totally negative. They are carriers. They spread the disease that is a negative mindset. You are going to have to avoid them. Not forever. Just long enough that you build up an immunity to virus.
Instead of doing anything listed above, do this:
- Read great works that build a positive psychology. Read Stephen Covey. Read Anthony Robbins. Read Brian Tracy. Read Zig Ziglar. Read Les Brown. Read Napoleon Hill. Read Earl Nightingale. Read Elbert Hubbard. Read James Allen.
- Listen to audio programs by the group of people listed above. Listen to positive psychology audio programs while you are working out in the morning. Listen while you are driving to and from work. Listen while you are in the shower, grocery shopping, or doing chores around the house.
- Write a single entry in a gratitude journal every day upon waking. You have a lot to be grateful for, even if you sometimes don’t remember this fact. If you are really going to be aggressive about ridding yourself of negativity and adopting a positive personal psychology, do this twice a day.
- Increase your awareness of the infected. Over this 30 days, notice the language and the ideas of the negative people you come in contact with. Pay attention to what they say, and try to discover the fear that lives behind their negative mindset. As you notice their negativity, you will become aware of the infections that you have picked up. You will also come to realize just how negative are your thoughts and beliefs.
- Every day, take one action that moves you closer to your dream, your real purpose. No matter how small you believe the action to be, take one small step towards your dream every day. Do it first thing in the morning if you can, but if not, hustle at night if you have to.
I can tell you from experience this recipe works. It will rid you of your negativity. It will help rid you of many of your self-limiting beliefs. It will cure you of many of your fears, including some you didn’t realize that you had.
Want more great articles, insights, and discussions?
Share this post with your network
Filed under: Sales