It’s been a couple years since I updated my design here, and a lot of things have changed. So I asked my friends at Kinopicz American to help me take it apart and start from scratch.
- More about what I do. For a long time I used this blog as my main site while using another domain and site for my speaking, consulting, and coaching. I am consolidating everything here to make it easier to share what I do. This has always been my home base, and I am more convinced that this is the right strategy.
- Added menus. Not the menus you see across the top of the page. I added menus of my keynotes and workshops. I have a number of different keynote speeches and as many workshops. We created a page and a summary for each keynote and each workshop to provide some ideas about the outcomes you can expect from me as a speaker.
- Content up front. Even though the home page looks more like a home page, I didn’t want to move content to another page. I left the daily post as the primary piece of content on the home page because I believe that’s what belongs up front. This has served me well for a long time.
- Hard coded out comments. I’m not sure what changed with WordPress and Akismet, but for the last year my site was literally overrun with spam comments. I believe the more traffic your site generates, the more spam you attract. I moved to the Facbook plugin, but some spam still crept onto posts. You can still email me, comment on Facebook, or connect with me on any other social site.
- Bigger fonts and mobile responsive. I had no idea how many people read my blog on their smartphone or tablet. Sometimes that number is greater than 60%. Small fonts didn’t work for those readers, and I heard this from many of them. The pinching and zooming and scrolling back and forth didn’t work either. So this is site is now completely mobile responsive.
Want more great articles, insights, and discussions?
Share this post with your network
Filed under: Sales