Maybe you believe value is all about money. Maybe you believe that it’s all about financial metrics. But value is more complicated than that. It’s more than money.
- Trust: Nowhere does trust show up on a spreadsheet, but I promise you that it is the foundation of the first decision your prospective client makes. Trust is always a part of value.
- Confidence: It doesn’t matter how good your number are, if I don’t have the confidence in you that you can produce the outcomes, the numbers are meaningless. No matter the price, your dream client has to believe you will perform.
- Caring: The numbers don’t in any way indicate whether you really care enough to be there for your dream client when they need you. But that is part of the decision that they are making, and the numbers don’t speak to caring at all.
- Communication: How do you communicate? What do you communicate? How valuable is what you communicate? What, how, and when you communicate matters.
- Certainty: Your spreadsheet doesn’t provide the certainty that I am going to get what I pay for. It doesn’t address the other concerns I have outside of the financial concerns, and a spreadsheets doesn’t handle certainty very well.
- Cultural Fit: Are we going to work well together? can I see myself working with you for a long time? Am I going to look forward to your call, or would I rather have a root canal? If people don’t like you enough to want to work with you, the numbers won’t matter.
When we have a great product, we expect the product to do all of the heavy lifting for us when it comes to selling. When we have what I call Level 3 Value, the ability to prove a return on investment, we expect the numbers to carry the sale for us. But selling effectively isn’t that easy. Don’t for a minute believe that part of the value you create isn’t about the relationship. And more often than not, that’s worth more than money.
Get my first book: The Only Sale Guide You'll Ever Need
"The USA Today bestseller by the star sales speaker and author of The Sales Blog that reveals how all salespeople can attain huge sales success through strategies backed by extensive research and experience."
Share this post with your network