- Better Product: My product sucks. Everybody else has better stuff. Can you imagine how much easier it would be to sell if only you had a better product? Think of how easy it would be to sell if only people were lined up and dying to buy.
- Lower Pricing: Our prices are too high to win. Low prices isn’t your strategy, eh? It’s tough to sell something with a higher price than your competitor’s pricing. Imagine how easy it would be to sell if you had lower prices.
- Better Territory: Look across the way. The neighbors grass is way greener. It would be a breeze to sell in that territory. They can say that, “it’s not the man, it’s the land,” but they haven’t seen your lousy territory, have they?
- Easier Prospecting: Calling prospective clients sucks? No one returns my calls ! Prospecting should be a lot easier! That would make selling awesome, wouldn’t it? And easy.
- Better Prospects: Our prospects only care about price. They only want solutions we don’t sell. They have deep relationships with our competitors. All of the best prospects are already taken. Selling would be easy with better prospects. Yeah.
- Better Management: My manager doesn’t get it. He thinks I should have more activity. He keeps asking me about my pipeline. Selling would be easy if I wasn’t micromanaged. Selling would be easy with management or leadership, for sure.
- Better Compensation Plan: My comp plan stinks. If I had a decent compensation plan I’d motivated to sell. I’d be a top 20% salesperson with the right comp plan. No doubt, you would. Your comp plan really makes selling easy.
There are seven lies listed here. Here is one truth: none of these are the real reason that selling is difficult. Selling isn’t easy. It’s never been easy, and it won’t be easy in the future. All you can do is work tirelessly to improve yourself. Then, selling won’t be easy, but selling well will be effortless.
What is your pet excuse?
Which of these lies resonates with you? What is the real reason this resonates with you?
What beliefs would you have to shed to improve your sales?
PREORDER MY NEW BOOK – THE LOST ART OF CLOSING
Preorder my new book, The Lost Art of Closing: Winning the 10 Commitments That Drive Sales, and pick up the bonus content to help you implement and execute immediately.